Glacé is the French word for glazed, and refers to fruits that are preserved in a sugar syrup. Glacé can be used in cakes, breads and other sweets, or used to decorate cakes. Traditionally these fruits are used during the Christmas holiday season in fruitcakes.
Glacé fruit, also known as candied fruit, has existed since the 14th century. Whole fruit, pieces, and peels of fruits are placed in heated sugar syrup. The fruit absorbs the moisture from within and the sugar syrup eventually preserves the fruit. Depending on the size and type of fruit this process can take anywhere from several days up to a month. The continual process of drenching the fruit in syrup causes the fruit to become saturated with sugar, preventing spoilage and the growth of microorganisms.
The most common types of fruits that we produce into Glacé fruit are cherries, pineapple, orange peel, lemon peel, citron peel, mello gems, and melon. Leelanau Fruit Company has the ability to custom produce many other fruits in this process – so if we don’t have what you are looking for, let us know and we will gladly produce a Glacé fruit mix to meet your specifications.
All Glacé fruit mixes are packed into either 10 pound or 30 pound cases.
Leelanau Fruit Company currently carries the following Glacé fruit products:
- Red Whole Cherries
- Red Whole & Broken Cherries
- Green Whole Cherries
- Green Whole & Broken Cherries
- Gold Pineapple Wedges & Cubes
- Green Pineapple Wedges & Cubes
- Red Pineapple Wedges & Cubes
- Orange Peel
- Red Orange Peel
- Lemon Peel
- Green Lemon Peel
- Citron Peel
- Red, Gold and Green Mello Gems
- Regular Glacé Mix (Orange Peel, Lemon Peel, Red, Green & Gold Mello Gems, and Red W&B Cherries)
- Deluxe Mix (Red & Green Whole Cherries and Gold Pineapple Wedges)
- Premier Mix (Red & Green Whole Cherries and Red, Green & Gold Pineapple Wedges)
- Orange and Lemon Peel Mix (Orange Peel & Lemon Peel)
- Royal Mix
- Standard Mix
- Tutti Fruitti Mix